I've been on the news a lot lately...and I thought I'd post my thoughts here. I apologize for any embarrassment my family members may have felt as this has unfolded.
"...the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
This Amendment holds the same strength and authority as the First. For with out it, there is no First.
Trolley Square, Utah, Virginia Tech, Columbine, Northern Illinois University, University of Alabama-Huntsville, University of South Florida, Dawson College: Montreal, Canada, Fort Hood, and Ohio State University on Monday.
For some reason, mass shootings tend to occur on college campuses and other "Gun Free Zones". Perhaps it is because bad people go to where they know they will have the least resistance in carrying out their diabolical plans. I believe this to be true from the petty thief to the fascist dictator.
I did not break any laws http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/shared/gun_law_pdf.pdf (page 3 and 5 in particular) nor did I disrupt school activities in any way, as is evident from the videos I recorded. A student called in to campus police and asked if I was legally allowed to carry a gun. The student did not call in a panic or to report a crime, it was simply a question, and I believe it should have been handled as such.
When the officers approached me and I realized that it was not going to be a simple stop to see if I had a Concealed Firearm Permit, and I when I realized that it was going to be my word (and Utah law) against the opinions of two law enforcement officers, I pulled out my iPhone and pressed record. I did so, not to make the officers look unintelligent but to have a personal record of the incident. My reasoning to press the matter beyond that is explained in great detail throughout dozens of posts on the following website: http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7775&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
I have been open carrying for a long time, well before I had a CFP, as it is allowed in the State of Utah. I do not believe that the laws of Utah and the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution are no longer rights to be exercised simply because I am attending an accounting class on a college campus.
I refuse to be a victim. There is not a uniformed officer outside of each of my classrooms, nor do I expect there to be and either should you. It is not their duty legally or otherwise to protect me, I am the only one responsible for me and you are the only one responsible for you.
I have never open carried to make a point, to be "cool", or because I have some sort of "Napoleon complex". Those that know me, know that this has never been the case. I choose to open carry because I am legally able to do so and because it simply works better for me.
“A right unexercised is a right lost.” Opencarry.org
In fact the vast majority of the people I encounter day-to-day don't even notice that there is a gun on my hip. Surprised? So was I for the first couple of weeks that I consistently open carried. However, just in case people do notice, I ALWAYS go about open carrying in a quiet, dignified, and polite manner. I am always respectful of those around me who perhaps have never seen a gun before, except in the movies. I do so by being approachable to have a conversation about Utah gun laws, to talk about why I choose to carry, and to talk about the responsibility that goes along with carrying. People that know me and attend classes with me have repeatedly thanked me for carrying in their classrooms and for being willing and able to carry a gun at my side.
The gun on my hip is about as dangerous as a Prius sitting in a garage.
Accidental death statistics between the two objects: 42,000 vs. 680 per year. What number do you think applies to which object? Now I know why we wear seat belts, but why don't we carry guns? Because we are afraid of them? Because we don't think we, ourselves are responsible enough or willing to handle them with the respect they deserve? If that is the case, then please, do not try and take away my right to decide if I am willing to take on that responsibility simply because you are afraid of them. If the government thinks you, after passing a driving test at 16 years old, are able to get behind the wheel of an object that accidentally kills 42,000 people a year in the U.S. then why would we fear another object that accidentally harms more than 61 times fewer people per year? The government, the FBI even, has cleared me, after passing back ground checks and taking classes, to handle that object at the age of 21...
(I'm 28)
When we leave a grocery store and we see people pulling keys out of their pockets to unlock a car door, or people starting the engines of their cars, do we ever think, "Oh my gosh, they could kill me with that vehicle and not only that but I'm offended that they are 'showing off' their car in public. How do I know that they aren't a crazy person and that they aren't going to run me over, right now?!" I bet you have never even had that thought, well either have I. Why is that? On the flip side, why do we have such irrational fear of firearms? Couldn't a person just as easily get in an argument and in a moment of rage jump in their car and do insurmountable damage to others?
Like a Prius in a garage, my gun just sits there, on my hip, in a retention holster, and it does not move. Why don't we get the heeby jeebies when we see kids playing basketball in a driveway with two cars parked in the garage? Because we know that those cars are not going to magically try and run the kids over all on their own. It would require a person to grab the keys, turn on the car, and put it into drive.
If we were to remove all of the scented candles in the world does that mean that we would never hear of another tragic news report about a home or an apartment building burning down, either accidentally or on purpose? And why is that?
Well, because a child somewhere might still get curious with matches they find in the bathroom cupboard... Or because a set of Christmas lights get a little too hot… Or a lava lamp gets left on for too long… What about a hot water heater whose pilot light malfunctions…
There are still any number of things that can burn a house down including an act of arson, a crime, but do we simply eliminate and remove every one of those possessions because of what might, maybe, possibly, someday happen to our homes?
No, we become innovative and more efficient. We learn from our mistakes whether that means we change a design flaw or simply alter something’s ineffectiveness. Sometimes we provide warning labels that tell us “caution” or “danger” and “look out!” Sometimes, it is not enough and accidents still happen. So, to further minimize risk and damages, we do one simple thing. We educate and let people make their own decisions from there, period.
When I am open carrying, I do not remove my gun from its holster; I do not touch it. It is just an object that sits discreetly by my side.
And that is where my gun stays; unless I am, or heaven forbid my fellow classmates, are ever in danger of losing our lives at the hand of another who wishes to take our lives before law enforcement can arrive. I will refer you back to the growing list of colleges that have had to deal with this kind of tragedy. I'm willing to bet that there isn't a single parent who lost their son or daughter that tragic day at Virginia Tech who doesn't wish that a person willing and able to carry a firearm had been in that auditorium to slow down or even stop the events that unfolded.
I am not paranoid and I do not live in fear. I am simply aware of my responsibility, and mine only, to protect myself. I carry a gun as a safety precaution, just like wearing a seat belt in a Prius.
Thank you to those that have an open mind and understand this sensible approach. I am not an activist nor did I intend for this to go public beyond my campus or the forum of utahconcealedcarry.com.
This has not been easy to handle and I sincerely thank those who are supporting me and I want to give an even bigger thank you to all of those who also carry legally and safely everyday.
Here are the links to the incident as it unfolded over the past week:
http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7775&start=0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjaQJs8eoMk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzyYu9dhIY0
Local opinion piece: If you vote on the poll, read the words carefully before voting.
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/opinion/article_8e36ec07-d565-57d7-ab27-e2cfb5630116.html
Local TV stations coverage:
http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-utah-student-confronted-carrying-gun-campus,0,3562516.story
http://connect2utah.com/content/news/story?cid=79131
Local newspapers:
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/state-and-regional/utah/article_fe41fbd6-9df1-563e-a823-e6f802159d27.html
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700015256/UVU-student-argues-with-officers-over-right-to-openly-carry-gun.html
http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12111868
Local Radio show host poll:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=399
Local Blog:
http://www.connorboyack.com/blog/enforcing-the-law-on-law-enforcement
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/news/utah-valley-university-student-challenges-statesuniversitys-open-carry-policy-click-for-video/?hp=news_title
Local comments board:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9943882&comments=true
I did nothing wrong nor have I ever done anything wrong on at UVU. I have contributed so very much of my time and energy to make that school a better place. I have the utmost respect for law enforcement and the brave job they do everyday, I hold no ill feelings towards them.
"US law is restrictive, not permissive (justice).
The 2nd Amendment provides for self-defense (Constitution).
Only the State of Utah can make regulations regarding firearm use, not Universities' policies (law).
Legal carry doesn’t raise crime, but influences crime rates to be lower (statistics).
CFP holders are verified daily (BCI) and are much more law-abiding citizens (statistics).
A gun is the most efficient defense against robbery, rape, and homicide by a wide margin (research).
Educational institutions should foster independent thinking and fact-based research (science)."
There are thousands of students, that legally carry concealed at UVU. They too know Utah laws regarding where they can carry a firearm and how. It is taught in every Utah CFP class, but most people choose to carry concealed. I think that is fantastic! I'm just glad they still have the right to choose to carry concealed or openly. I prefer to open carry most of the time, that's all. Again, rarely do people even see it. News flash: bad guys never open carry. I've spent a lot of my own hard earned money on extra training from several different local companies to become proficient at defending myself and others. I understand the extra awareness that must accompany open carrying. I believe that if a bad guy is going to target a classroom and he sees students open carrying....he will start with another classroom. They aren't looking for a shootout, that's why they chose a "Gun Free Zone" in the first place.
In fact, I've been open carrying EVERY DAY for the last 6 months at UVU (off and on before that) and it has never raised a single alarm. Why do you think that is?
Open carrying at UVU has allowed me to talk to easily 500+ students now about Utah gun laws and it has helped dispel a lot of gun-owner "myths & stereotypes" as well. People are so comfortable with me carrying a gun on campus (if they even notice) that they feel like they can approach the guy that is carrying the gun, and even talk to him about it. Even the student that made the initial call to campus police that day simply asked the question "is he allowed to carry a gun on campus?"
Yes, I am and I exercise that right, respectfully and politely, everyday.
Whether you choose to carry open, concealed, or not at all, is up to you. I don't judge you. If you choose not to carry and I am in a capacity to save you from harm, I will do so. However, if you are offended at the sight of a gun, I respectfully ask you to look away, the same way I look away when I see a Ford Pinto. I don't ask Pinto owners to keep their cars in the garage because it scares me or offends me. Why? Because it is their right (privilege) to drive that car if they are legally able to do so.
Even though I might not know you, your mental capacity, or your ability to drive a car on a test track, I don't fear your Prius when you are behind the wheel, so please, don't fear my gun when it is doing nothing, securely in a holster, on my hip.
4 comments:
Ben and I were talking all about this, but had no idea it was you! Crazy! Good for you posting on Youtube. It's hilarious!
Hi, you don't know me but I'm Lane Forsloffs sister-in-law...just wanted to say bravo on your post. You sound like a very intelligent person and I can totally see where you're coming from. My husband has just become a local police officer here in Roseburg and I'm learning so much about these gun laws, concealed weapons etc etc. I agree with you that you're responsible for yourself. While we lived in Utah we were in THAT chapel in Lehi where the husband killed his wife in the parking lot. We were locked in the Church while the police investigated. It was insane and scary and I know my husband had wished he'd had a gun at the time just so he knew he could protect me and our boys if the case need be.
Anyways, I've taken enough space (haha) hope all turns out well for you and your family! Take care, Kristen Kennerley
I just stumbled upon your blog. I really enjoyed your post. I think you are right about it all. I do not own a gun but I see it as a right and I am glad you are able to own and carry your own. I think that having more people like you at schools and campuses would really decrease violence. Thank you.
I don't disagree, but I do have to say that I think the difference between a Prius is not designed for the purpose of killing, so I am not sure likening their latent potential for harm convinces me.
That being said, I would have NO problem with you being in my university class or coming over to my house for a BBQ. Carry proud brother.
Post a Comment